Old 10-25-15, 10:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 1,709 Times in 1,099 Posts
Splintered C2 vertebrae from a car wreck 14 years ago, along with half a dozen simple vertebrae fractures from the thoracic region to the hip. Frequent severe headaches, neck and shoulder spasms. August was the most painful month I've had since the first year after the wreck, with only three days relatively free of pain.

All that before I resumed cycling again the last weekend of August. I figured it couldn't possibly be any worse. Bought a comfort bike with upright riding position to avoid craning my neck.

Only made it one mile the first ride before nearly passing out from exhaustion. Worked up to 3-5 miles over the next couple of weeks. Going on seven weeks now, and just finished a rambling 15-20 mile ride this afternoon (I don't keep track, just estimate from Google maps).

Best I've felt in years. And taking less OTC ibuprofen daily, and far less prescription pain meds and muscle relaxers - from almost daily in August to once or twice the past few weeks. Endorphins? Post-middle age delusions? Dunno, don't care, feels good. Sure, still have daily aches, but on a 1-10 scale it's down from 8-9 level to 3-5, nearly continuous but tolerable.

I'll never be comfortable again with drop bars, but might gradually reduce the height of my bars (currently a few inches above saddle height). Mostly I just cruise for comfort, errands and a few pleasure rides. Don't care about speed, other than scurrying across a few tricky intersections as quickly as possible.