Old 10-28-15, 11:01 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
No kidding, I don't even have one and I'm defending them. They don't cause me any trouble, they don't threaten my vanity, and I can foresee having one someday.
I thought they were pretty interesting from the first time I saw an e-bike. I thought I'd get one when I was no longer capable or riding a regular bike at an acceptable speed. Then I did a test ride a few years later. I loved it, but still didn't think I could justify buying one just because it was fun. Then, I had a child get her driver's license. She has to travel longer distances, and more often than I do, for school, sports, hobbies, and after school activities.

So, at that point we were looking at buying a 3rd car. I bought the e-bike conversion kit as well as a scooter for distances that I needed to cover a little faster than I could on any bike. I suppose I could have purchased a questionable used car for the same price - but then I'm back to paying for insurance, gas (I'll probably spend less than $30 for gas for the entire year on the scooter), parking, and maintenance. The e-bike/touring bike is my favorite way to commute so a 3rd car didn't seem like the best choice.

I'm an e-bike owner (and enthusiast) much sooner than I ever thought I would be. I don't regret it. I'm probably going to feel the same way about owning a fat bike someday.