Old 10-29-15, 11:44 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dacino3 View Post
Thanks for all the information already listed in this forum. It really helped me come to a conclusion. I was searching for an electric bike that would speed up my all season 40 mile round trip commute to work (road, paved trails, dirt trails). After pretty extensive research I was planning on building my own and spent a few weeks looking for a frame on craigslist. Eventually I decided that waterproofing a home built electric bike that would handle heavy rain and snow could prove to be challenging. I was concerned about becoming stranded, as well as many other challenges of constructing an E-Bike.

I continued my search for new and used e-bikes when I came across this for $1,500 for a new IZIP Express http://www.amazon.com/Izip-IZIP-Expr.../dp/B00CKZK6RA. I was impressed with its higher top speed and large battery. I verified the battery was recently tested by curie tech and IZIP's warranty was valid. It seems this bike is not desired due to it's weight, noise, and E-Assist only mode (none of which will be an issue for me). For my purposes I hope to get a long life out of the bike with many miles.
You did your research on this bike, right?

IZIP Express Review - ElectricBikeReview.com

I really respect the guy that does these reviews. This bike was rated at 7 out of 10. Which, on the surface, sounds pretty good. However, I don't recall the any reviews that I have read that had a lower rating than 7. The drive system sounds pretty complicated. It says the range is 25-40 miles with a 720 watt hour battery. It must be the 750 watt motor that drains the battery that quickly? In comparison, a 500 watt BionX motor with a 555 watt hour battery has a range of 65 to 80 miles. The 28 mph speed is nice... just be safe. Good luck with your new e-bike. I wish you many trouble free and enjoyable miles.