Old 10-29-15, 06:23 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dacino3 View Post
I agree, I have not seen any review that low from him either. I also respect his opinion. I was concerned with that, but that is only a number. After reading his review it seems all the cons don't effect me. I hope it is rated low because it is E-Assist only, heavier/beefier, no display at all, no built in lights, and because of the noise. It seems to be unlike most other e-bikes in these regards. We will see. I'll post an update after I get it and commute for a little bit. It was very hard to find much information besides this review and maybe it will help someone decide if this is the bike for them or not.
Good that you saw the review prior to your purchase. It has some good things. Pedal assist only isn't really a "con" to me... I had the option of a throttle, but never had it installed (maybe I don't know what I'm missing?) This is the biggest concern for me from another review:

Even though the Izip Express is easy to ride, at the same time this bike is one of the most complex bikes mechanically that I have ever ridden. It uses a mid-drive motor connected to a belt to a rear hub that looks like it would be big enough to be a geared hub motor, but it is actually a planetary gear box to blend the rider and the motors input into one. I am not really sure what is happening here, but when you turn on the motor while riding, the bike suddenly becomes harder to pedal.

https://www.electricbike.com/izip-express/

I've just never heard of this type of system. It may be just fine. It's just me, but I won't spend that kind of money without at least one really good test ride. The most intriguing things about that bike are the high torque motor and the 28 mph speed limit (if it had a throttle it would be limited to 20 mph.) Good luck and let us know how it rides!