View Single Post
Old 11-03-15, 08:10 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Let's talk about 1x11 drivetrains

I got a tentative go ahead from the CFO to build a dream bike. I've been lusting over an Appleman for a few year. I love the idea of a custom build/fit, multi-functional CF bike for CX, gravel grinding, and road riding (just change tires). Here is an example: Drew's Gravel Crusher - Appleman Bicycles

I did a little digging around on the SRAM XX1 cassette, 11-speeds (10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36-42). I was a little surprised when comparing ratios with my current rigs.

My Kona Dew Drop (I use for gravel and CX) has a granny-gear with 30x34 that allows me to climb while others are walking. The XX1 gives you 42x42 fairly close for climbing ratio - between the two largest smallest ratios on the Kona.

My Felt Z85 (road bike) has a big gear of 50x12 that I rarely max out at around 38 mph (I'm not a super fast descender). The XX1 gives you a 42x10 for a faster descending ratio.

I understand that the cassette with a wide range will weigh more. But you lose a chainring, front derailleur, cabling, shifter... Not sure how the weight exchange works out, not the biggest deal since I'm not a weight-weenie. I want a boom-proof drivetrain over light weight (this puts me ahead of a lot of other riders when I'm racing).

I'd like to hear for riders that have gone to the 1x11 drivetrain, especially if you ride on demanding terrain like gravel grinders.