Old 11-04-15, 10:44 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Correct. I think a lot of newbies compare a century to running a marathon. Running a marathon is hard, and if your longest run was a 1/2 marathon you are probably NOT ready. But if you can ride 35-40 miles you can ride all day long if you eat and hydrate properly.
I struggle with this one when it comes to a Century, not metric. I grant that a metric is easy for the OP. He is already riding a distance that is just under that. A true century does require more attention to hydration and calorie consumption. As a runner, I have always struggled with the comparison as biking is easier in a way. Common perception is that for every mile you run it is equal to every 3 miles that you ride. This is where I struggle because there are other factors to consider. For example, in a marathon, I do not stop. Water, gel packets, salt pills and food is all taken during the race at pace. In a ride you typically have rest stops that you get off your bike and go potty and talk. I have never been in a road bike race, so I am just referring to the average organized century ride or charity ride. They can be competitive but in general the stops are what make it different from a marathon. If you were to ride non-stop for 100 miles at a competitive pace (for you) than I would say that it is similar to running a marathon at a competitive pace (again for you). For example, if you run a marathon at 8 min per mile clips than it is probably similar to riding 100 miles at 18mph. (I am just using these numbers for perspective, they are not scientific. If you run at an 8 min miler pace and ride at a pace of 12mph, than of course the marathon is harder. In general, they are probably comparative if you compete at paces that are similar for you.
OP--You should not have a problem. Just eat right and hydrate properly. Watch your pace, especially in the beginning if you are worried. The start of all events tends to be fast. Stay within in your game.