Old 11-06-15, 06:24 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I have a Xootr which is similar to your Razor A5. Here are my thoughts.

1. SPEED -- I've seen people ride just as fast as bikes using an adult kick scooter like your A5 - After a while, you'll develop the muscles needed to go fast. In fact, your legs will feel stronger and you’ll pick up speed walking. Try to keep this in check because it’s not if but when you will fall. I can easily reach speeds of 9-10 miles an hour or three times the speed of walking. Traveling on a slight downhill allows me to hit bicycle speed. Since you’re only traveling 2 miles, this is completely doable but I would not ride in rain or snow.

2. SAFTY ---- Attach a light to the handlebar and choose a good one. Now that it’s getting dark, you need to see the ground ahead of you because as other said, a rock or crack in the road can cause you to fall. Be wary they are not that high off the ground and you could very well come to a complete stop by running over some obstruction. Always wear gloves and a helmet. Put a light on the back of the helmet if you intend to ride in the streets. It might be a good idea to invest in knee pads. You can get them at any CVS or pharmacy. A reflective safety vest would also be a good idea. Helmet with rear light, gloves and front light are a must at night.

3. STREETS / SIDEWALKS -- Sidewalks can actually be more dangerous than streets if they are poorly maintained. I tend to use both at times. If the streets are broad with minimal traffic, why not use them? In general, you’ll travel faster using the streets. I use a protected bike lane during the weekend if I’m going to work.

4. TOOL FOR THE CARFREE -- I created a thread about this months ago about how the kick scooter can be a tool for the carfree. Only a hand full of members ever tried one but make no doubt about it, the kick scooter is very much as powerful a tool as the bicycle. Skate boards, RollerBlades and adult kick scooters are actually easier and better than a folding bike when trips are less than 2 miles. Also, they are far easier to board in the cabin of bus than any folder.

5. IT”S NOT ABOUT SPEED -- Always keep in mind, it’s not about speed but about fun. You’re only traveling 1 mile each why so walking or kick scootering is not going to save you hours of time. However, over a period of months, it will be significant.

I have a a Xootr and looking to upgrade next year to a MIBO MASTER! Have fun.

https://youtu.be/bEA_KpJszas
All great information. And at least for some people, deciding to opt out on the danger is yet another option. I personally am fine with my bicycle or on foot. I tried the scooter. I like to go fast I guess. After a couple bad falls I could tell that it was just a matter of time till I did that in a really bad place rather than somewhere I can just roll thru the grass. If I have to go slow then I don't need a scooter.