canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by RR3
...I ride this road 3-5 times per week because of its proximity to my house...
One of my favorite local leisure riding routes is like the route you described. I like that route and don't want to avoid it. It's not my immediate neighborhood - which is not particularly bicycle friendly - but close enough to be worth the detour. Since it's not my neighborhood, and passes through a somewhat exclusive country club residential zone, I consider myself a guest and try to be a good one.

If I'd encountered a situation like that I'd try to make the best of it. I'd anticipate seeing the same driver again and try to be prepared to smile and wave. If the opportunity occurs to chat, maybe it would defuse the tension. Maybe she was late for work, had a headache or a bad day.

A month ago a fellow in that neighborhood where I ride gave me a lift home in his pickup when my flat tire kept rolling off the rim. I couldn't even walk the bike home on a flat (I had a patch kit but neglected to bring my floor pump, the only pump I had at the time). I was facing the prospect of a 3-mile hike with a 30+ lb bike on my shoulder. But that fellow brought me right to my door.

That's the sort of experience I try to remember. So if I happened to encounter an unpleasant situation I'd try to consider it an anomaly and make the best of it. Maybe a little extra effort on my part, a gesture of patience and kindness, in the spirit of the entire community, might be one way to return the favor shown me by the fellow with the truck who gave me a ride home.