View Single Post
Old 11-10-15, 08:29 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have pepper sprayed six dogs and one man.

The man was a crazed road rager and attacked me. I could have hurt him, I know how, but chose rather to simply stop him and call the police (911). My apparent sin was that I yelled at him to stop as he was about to run into me while he was leaving a parking lot without stopping at the lot's stop sign. They came and took him away; it seems he had a bench warrant out for failing to appear in court regarding an assault charge against him as well as a parole violation. The pepper spray gave the best result all round.

All the dogs tried to either bite me or, in one case, my wife. Each encounter resulted in virtually instantaneous 'cessation of hostilities' and rapid disappearance of the dog. None of them were damaged. Subsequently, all of them would run away whenever they saw or heard me.

I always, always have a small can of pepper spray in my pocket or immediately available on my bikes. I can get it out and in use in about two seconds.

Around here, Southern California, it is legal to carry pepper spray and to use it when needed. However, use of pepper spray to commit a crime is itself a felony just like brandishing a knife or gun.

Even the weakest spray will stop a dog but crazed people may require the stronger 10% stuff. I recommend and use foam spray; it does not blow back and can be used into a moderate wind. You do have to aim better but I've had no trouble with that.

Buy it online and develop the attitude needed to use it. Do not let yourself be a victim. I cannot think of anything that works better to avoid injury when attacked.

Joe