Old 11-11-15, 10:53 AM
cicliste666

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by egear
I live in Baltimore and have been down to Annapolis several times to visit his shop. The frames are nice but not, in my opinon, up to the stress of long loaded tours. All the stuff is made in China but what isn't these days. This stuff has a cheaply made look that other stuff dosn't. The initial finish looks good but I am unsure about longevity. These things are built for looks not the long haul.

I just don't find the VO bikes all that inspiring. The Campeur I tried reminded me exactly of the Kogswell model P I had a few years ago. Just lifeless and moreover heavy. I had an opportunity to see/touch (although not ride) a vintage Rene Herse and what shocked me was how light the bike was. These Taiwanese 4130 frames, even with their main tubes butted and such, are just too doggone heavy and I found that I seldom rode my Kogswelll -- even though it was kitted out into a really really nice randonneur -- because it was so doggone heavy and dead-feeling. I think one's money is better spent trying to source a 1980s Speciaiized Expedition or Trek high-end touring bike. The build quality is higher, they have real lugs, and are both lighter and more lively.

I am not a weight weenie but I certainly do believe that an excessively heavy bike is just not one you're going to take out of the garage all that often.

Not trying to throw a wet blanket on anything -- a $500 frameset isn't likely to be all that amazing. But you can do a lot better with a bit of creativity, I think. The new VO headbadges are super cheesy, as well. It just has the look of a fairly cheap copy of the real thing, because that's what it is.