cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
I think the biggest issue with LCF is there's basically 2 separate camps on the subject. Those to whom it's an ideology defined by right, and wrong. Then there's those who consider it a practical matter defined by what works and what doesn't.

Pragmatism, and morals often don't mix well.
I think the supposed moralizing is as often as not inferred by the reader, rather than intended by the writer, but even if some people do have strong opinions on what is "right" or "wrong", it doesn't have to be taken personally or become a reason to launch all-out war - these are just differences of opinion and values such as all humans have. As you (I think) pointed out, one's car use is not the be all and end all of their value as human beings, so if a poster says "cars are selfish," as somebody did. that doesn't mean that a whole cabal of LCF ideologues agree that anybody who owns a car is evil. Even if "cars [are] selfish", we all have a mixture of selfish and self-less traits or behaviours - that's normal and in fact necessary for survival. Plus, some of the ones who are most hostile to the supposed anti-car ideology, are in fact themselves very car-light or even car-free, and nobody is going to criticize their personal lifestyle, even if we all have different reasons for minimizing or avoiding car use, and argue intensely about those reasons.

Last edited by cooker; 11-19-15 at 03:24 PM.