View Single Post
Old 11-21-15, 05:38 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd look at road bikes or CX bikes, not touring specific bikes. Touring bikes are not designed well for lightweight touring IMO, because they have gearing you don't need, are too overbuilt for lighter loads, the geometry is less aggressive etc.

Why do you want to use panniers if you're CC touring? You could get by with less and be much faster that way.

check this out:

Ridley Fenix road bike. This is a fully loaded touring setup, intended for camping not CC touring. This is just to give you an idea of how minimal you can go.

In the first image I have a tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag liner, clothes, electronics and a few odds and ends in the saddlebag. Phone/keys/wallet/snacks in that front bag. It was about 10lbs of gear + 20lbs of bike there.

Second picture I have a hammock, sleeping bag, pocket blanket and a bunch of cold weather clothing in the saddlebag. Frame bag held snacks, my 20000mah battery I use to charge electronics, clothing accessories I needed while riding like headband & cold weather gloves, etc. Water bottle pod held a repair kit and my dinner for the evening. Top tube bag held phone/wallet/vaporizer. I think this setup was about 11lbs.

I'm running 25mm tires with 24 spoke rims, and up until my last trip they had worked great for me. I did 3 tours on the front tire but broke one spoke on it last trip. Still managed to do the last 3/4 of the tour on 23 spokes with no issue though. Personally I don't plan to ever tour on anything wider than 28's, because I like the sped and cornering of skinny tires. I don't find the ride uncomfortable on them like others, but that's obviously subjective. FYI I do weigh more than most riders so that contributed to the spoke failure.

There's no reason to bring cooking equipment if fast and light is your goal. Buy prepackaged food or get something to go at a restaurant. You're covering distance not going on a camping trip. You should do the vast majority of your eating while you ride. You should camp only when you have to, and only as long as you're sleeping, no longer.

http://mylifeonmybike.tumblr.com/pos...start-in-a-few - You might find that interesting. That's what I carried on my [two week long 1,400 mile trip](http://i.imgur.com/BdEWaRd.jpg) last September.

Last edited by Buffalo Buff; 11-21-15 at 05:43 PM.