View Single Post
Old 11-26-15, 10:07 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
Thanks for posting that.

I didn't hear him say it's "not comfortable at all" but that it's less comfortable than the NeoAir. On the plus side, he hiked most of the Appalachian Trail with it ....
I have two neighbors that did the whole Appalachian Trail, they said their packs weighed 12 and 14 pounds at the end. No extra clothes at all, when they occasionally found a laudromat one would wash all their clothes while wearing rain gear, the other would hide naked somewhere. Carried a small tarp instead of a tent, I asked her how the bugs were at night and she just gave me a look that said they were occasionally pretty bad.

I understand the goal of trying to make more miles each day, but I would carry a bit more weight myself and cover a few less miles each day. I had about 30 pounds in Grand Canyon, and the weight is more important when all you have is one really big hill. But it was below freezing for part of that trip, so I had the down and polartec gear.

Like I said above, I did not get much sleep on the 3/8 inch closed cell pads that we used before Thermarest pads were invented, it would not be worth cutting a few ounces to go back to that.