Old 12-02-15, 02:56 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
It has v-brakes so 700x35 will fit and 700x40 probably.
Your bike should be able to fit up to a 2.1"/55 mm 700c tire, with its v-brakes.
40 mm is a good width, though.

If you want a fast tire, find the lightest (and highest TPI) wide tire you can; low weight is usually a good indicator of a tire with low rolling resistance. I bet your stock tires are crazy heavy.
If you want a tougher tire, look for ones that specify added puncture protection. These tires may last longer but will roll more slowly.

I never get flats on gravel, just on city streets from glass shards. I find a wide, lightweight tire (without puncture-proof layers) does well in both conditions.

Originally Posted by Inpd
Thanks for the advise. I'll buy the tires and see how it works out. Liking gravel riding a lot! Makes a nice change from riding on a MUP.
I agree, I like riding gravel because I'm usually the only one on the road (not counting my riding buddies).
My local MUPs are nice but usually congested with walkers, strollers, runners, and faster and slower cyclists.
On my local gravel, I'll get passed by a car maybe twice in an hour's ride. Of course, farm roads are much more congested during harvest time.

I highly recommend a mirror when riding gravel roads. That way, you can ride in the groomed tire tracks when the road is all yours, but you can see the cars approaching from the rear and scoot over when they approach.