Old 12-03-15, 07:08 AM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Teton: on a related note, i've seen a few of cat 1's complaining about their $25 surcharge for 2016. it's a small sample, but the ones i've seen have been masters athletes who have not raced open events in years. i suggested that they downgrade to cat 2 if it's about the money ($25 vs $5), but i doubt they will. i do get the ego part of it.
There are a few "if" statements to follow:

If my Cat1 license from OBRA-land had transferred to USAC, if I was only racing on the road in USAC, I would very seriously considering downgrading.

However, due to the fact that I just upgraded to a higher category on the dirt, I'm within that realm. I will be very, very angry if they post my name on some board at a race in BFE, ______ (insert mountain west state name here), I'm already gone, and I get suspended as a result. I don't stick around after races unless I'm getting money or a podium picture to send to the parents.

Seeing as most races I do use the entry fees to fund trail work or local advocacy groups as opposed to prize lists 20 deep, or a "pick your prize" table consisting of women's non-bib shorts from the early 2000s, I rarely stick around, even if I podium. Someone else can have that set of orange Jagwire V-brake cables and housings.

USAC should have bigger fish to fry than RANDOMLY testing middle aged guys who race around in circles in the woods for little to no gain. If I'm blowing up a local, regional or national race series? Sure, test me. But, first fix the selection process for worlds or like events, balance the organization's budget, etc.

Last edited by Duke of Kent; 12-03-15 at 07:12 AM.