Old 12-04-15, 02:01 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist, 2013 Velo Orange Campeur, 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro, 2014 Xtracycle Electric

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been in the Everglades many times during the year and in December it can be balmy, but it can be very very cold, so I'd watch your weather and bring the appropriate bag. You can always unzip if you get warm. January and February can be downright cold (much due to the high humidity that remains even after a cold front moves through).

As far as the Tamiami Trail it is essentially a straight line of about 100 miles from Naples to "civilization" west of Miami with not much at all in between. Let me repeat that - NOT MUCH AT ALL IN BETWEEN! There is not a significant amount of room to ride, but not too bad (about 3 feet outside the line). The traffic can be light, but very fast. I like it best early in the morning, as there seems to be more animal (reptile?) activity then, and traffic is lighter. Weekdays are best for lighter traffic. Because the motorists are not expecting cyclist and because they are also not experiencing much (maybe two slight turns in 100 miles) they can be in a trance - so bright clothing is a must in my opinion.

I like 40s (tires) for many conditions, but generally speaking the roads are smooth (including the Keys). I would actually use a 35 over 28s or 40s though. If you want to do some dirt road riding (hard packed) message me and I'll give you the details of the route through part of the EGs.

Depending on your milage and direction, the Collier-Seminole SP is nice, wooded, and not too far from Naples. Look to get reservations though, as Christmas vacation time can be busy.

When are you going?

And yes to planning around the wind. There are no wind blocks in the EGs, and most of the Keys.

I'd make sure to stop at Clyde Butcher's gallery (Big Cypress Gallery). Worth a trip from hundreds of miles away, so if you are riding right in front - for sure!

Last edited by Ridefreemc; 12-04-15 at 02:15 PM.