View Single Post
Old 12-06-15, 09:41 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Surprised no one mentions this: according to what I've read, the riding posture on road bikes is more comfortable for long distance, and upright position is better for shorter distance, which have to do with the pressue on the seat.

What I wonder is whether those on road bikes riding long distance feel wrist discomfort or pain from the pressure even though the drop bar allows flexible hand position. Also by looking at some pictures of the riding posture on a road bike such as in post #172 in this thread I wonder if the position does harm to one's digestion?

I've never ridden a road bike but wish I could ride one comfortably.
those claims of comfort are very subjective.

I have a road bike, MTB, path racer, upright road bike, 2 English sports, and a Dutch bike. I've listed them in order of comfort, starting with the least comfortable.
The road bike and path racer aren't ever actually "comfortable", they're just not uncomfortable when ridden as intended. The MTB isn't bad with the Porteur bars, but was dreadful for the road and long distance with the OE flat bars. The upright road bike, and English sports re fairly comfortable for most uses. The Dutch bike is positively luxurious no matter how long I ride it.

I think most people have issues with a particular type of bike because they want it to do something it isn't intended for. For me road bikes bottom the list because I'm a moderate speed rider, and dislike being hunched over facing the ground, constantly shifting my hands around the bar for relief.