Old 12-09-15, 11:29 AM
vinnyvincent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracr39
I don't know what the issue here is. Trek offers an entry level Hybrid 7.0 fx. It has gears but is a perfectly fine bike. The 2016 model retails for only $379.00. The other mfg's all have a similar model. Go back to the LBS and tell them what you want don't ask what you need and look at their name brand in the proper size. You can order direct from Trek and have it delivered to your local Trek dealer for assembly and pickup if you want to.
The issue is that all the bike shops I checked don't stock anything that is less expensive than 600 dollars, unless it is a beach cruiser or something with a step thru frame, ect...

All these mountain and road bikes I see online for less than 500 are apparently too much of a hassle for them to stock. Pair that up with the fact that even IF I were to spend the 600 on a bike they have in stock, I didn't see any bikes that looked much larger than the wal-mart size frames, which is what I think I need.
So the question then becomes "If they have to order the bike for me to even try it and I am paying a premium to 'shop in person', yet they still have to order it, why bother paying more for their bike?". Other than fit, which from what I understand they just do ballpark anyhow which could probably be accomplished using a sizing chart, why bother?