View Single Post
Old 12-11-15, 11:16 AM
exarkuhn15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
I consider myself fortunate that I do not have to ride my bicycle on any roads where the speed limit is above 40. I plan my routes and commutes to purposefully stay away from those types of situations.
Same here. I just don't ride on those roads that are clearly "designed for" cars. You know what I mean by that: fast boulevards where cars go fast because there are no real obstructions - pedestrians, bikes, parallel parkers, etc.

I'm a confident city cyclist, but I live in an inner suburb where bikers are common. If I still lived back in Texas where the only thing that exists are those big fast boulevards where no one bikes? I can't imagine riding like that. I'd probably be on the sidewalk, as wrong as that sounds to someone who believes in talking the lane (me).

I'm happy to take the lane, but I find it scary and just generally unpleasant to do it on the roads where I know drivers are going to be really pissed and confrontational. It's also just unpleasant to be buzzed at high speeds. Not fun at all, which is one reason why I bike commute.