Old 12-13-15, 07:30 AM
Ridefreemc 

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life View Post
When in the Keys, use the bike path, when it exists. Be aware that it changes from ocean side to bay side a few times, and in some locations, Marathon, for instance, it uses the sidewalk.
Where the path does not exist yet, and you have to ride on US1, forget the "ride with traffic" mentality. Ride against traffic. It is MUCH easier to avoid the blind speeding morons that you can see ahead of you than the blind speeding morons coming up BEHIND you. Do NOT ride in the travel lanes across the bridges unless there is no other option (the 7 mile bridge, for example, has no other option) When using the pedestrian "path" across the bridges, watch for discarded fishing hooks/lures, occupied tents, fisherpersons (especially when they are casting) and so on.
I lived near mile marker 66, in Long Key. I've ridden my bike from the Florida City Walmart (roughly MM 129) to MM 0 in Key West several times. Trust me. Use the bike paths when you can, and ride against traffic. It is much safer that way.
All good advice but I have to say a big no on riding against traffic. Not only illegal, but very dangerous. Oncoming traffic has significantly less time to see you and if you are hit add your speed to the speed of the auto (plus the fact that you are decelerating on impact rather than accelerating with traffic). All this is for another sub forum though - sorry.