Old 12-13-15, 10:36 AM
Mako Jak

Bikes: 1996 Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone!

Update on the bike, I took it to my lbs and they swapped out that recalled crank. I think the new stuff they used is lower on the Shimano quality list, but I'm not sure I would ever really notice something like that without reading about it. They used Altus components. I did end up with a new BB, crank set, chain and fd, so I am not complaining at all Thanks so much again for the heads up on the recall! And thanks to Shimano for standing behind it almost 20 years later! Kudos to the lbs too, an hour drop off to pick up, friendly, funny staff and a shop full of great bike that I will certainly be back to look at someday.

update on my situation. She got the support and medical order reversed! I may actually be able to keep my current apartment. I will still be car-free as of 12:01am tomorrow morning, but I am 3 blocks from work instead of 7 miles. Got my Topeak Explorer back rack on it's way, some commuter fenders and a couple good locks and light kit. Should be good to go for a bit now.

Yesterday I took my son out on his bike which is a little too big for him but it's what we have to work with... he never learned to ride and was terrified of trying after several nasty falls previously while learning. I found an amazing article/blog that touted a 30 minute learning exercise that seemed to have an extremely high success rate. We followed it and 30 minutes later he was riding on his own with no issues! Even on some tough terrain later in the day! Crazy stuff. Psychology. His confidence is through the roof right now.

I got to ride a lot too yesterday, all day pretty much. Loving this bike!! Even at my current weight, it seems to be fine which is very surprising to me. Another big positive, I've been sleeping an hour per night at best. Stress and crunching numbers, etc... taking it's toll. BP up. Weight up. Just bleh. Well after riding all day yesterday, I came in around 8pm and collapsed into bed within an hour... 10:30am I woke up! This is going to be so good for me.