View Single Post
Old 12-17-15, 02:00 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
A lot of good thoughts here. So I'll add mine. I've just recently retired from American society. I'm living on my bike, currently in S. CA. I've done 5 tours before and the first 3 weeks of this new phase of my life was a tour as well. Yes, it's a pain that I have to be in my sleeping bag by 6pm (most nights it's warm enough not to put my tent up and I just sleep in my bag on the tarp next to a hay stack on a farm). Can't get used to that. The 21st is right around the corner tho. The great thing about bike touring is that there are no rules! The other great aspect is that bike touring doesn't have to be technological. Which means GPS and computers and cell phones and ipods and ipads and ihomephones and all that garbage... is optional! I would never travel with a GPS, even in the states. Use a map - people love looking at maps and they're a great conversation starter as well. How many conversations have begun by looking at a GPS?? ha! My thought that only one other mentioned was that you're already in the Peace Corps, so you're probably an organized and thorough person and not a high-maintenance traveler. I can't imagine that you'll bring a lot with you not needed. As long as you do your homework first and read, read, read, you'll do okay. Personally, I would never tour the U.S. without front panniers. This is due the long stretches of distance in which you have to stock up on food supplies. My last tour was in 2007 doing E. Canada - not the easiest due to the distances among other aspects. Prevailing winds - nobody's mentioned it, I think. I believe generally most tourers go east to west, but don't know why. In the same manner, I believe most tourers go south along the coast, not north. Is that due to the winds? Use the website World Climate: Weather rainfall and temperature data to get an idea of reg. temps in any area/city. Don't count on couchsurfers coming thru. I've given up on that site as pretty much everyone ignores emails/messages and it was sold a few years ago and has gone down hill. Warm showers may be different and in fact I've had 2 people on this trip come up to me and say they belong. Try to free camp, which should probably be easy in TX and out in the boon docks.