View Single Post
Old 12-19-15, 06:24 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
1996 Amp Research B4

1996 Amp Research B4

She'll be 20 soon. I bought this off a friend in Colorado just a couple years after he bought it new, but rarely rode it. It was my first (and has been my only) dual-suspension bike; he let me testride it once, where I took it up my favorite trail, and I fell in love: I could go up more technical bits that I couldn't do on my DBR hardtail, I suspect because I was getting better traction with the rear wheel staying in contact with the ground.

While it only now occasionally gets a bash through Dublin's city streets, I am still loving the light weight (@23lbs) and "cool factor" of the linkage front forks (which are also super-light).

I've replaced the standard rear shock with a Risse unit; and after bending the rear chainstay when a stick got caught up in the chain/derailleur, that too has been replaced. I went tubeless and never had any problems, and the tyres are a massive 2.1". SRAM 9.0 rear derailleur (XT front der.), SRAM 9.0 V-brakes and shifters. I've done most all the regular maintenance (though I had the LBS replace the XT headset which was frozen in place), but maybe next year I'll do a total rebuild and it'll be my "winter project".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1-IMG_7227.jpg (103.4 KB, 434 views)