View Single Post
Old 12-22-15, 09:24 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I like that half step and granny chainset. If it were mine, I would keep that.
I've never understood the "half step" although have heard the term in other threads. In functional terms, how is it beneficial?

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Not that it matters a whole lot, but how sure are you about that being a 1983?

The SP-KC seatpost and the 3 pulley Suntour derailleur point to around 1985.

That looks like a nicely put together bicycle with the parts on it now. Best of luck on the build and hang on to those parts!
As to the year of the bike, I recall looking up the serial number a few years ago ... so I'll be first to admit that the '83 is based on my recollection, not necessarily fact. Here's a picture of the head tube. I should just go down to the garage and take a photo of the serial number - maybe after work today.

I do intend to keep the seat post and handlebars as I agree they add an aesthetic that can't be replaced with modern components. Besides, the other than resetting the saddle height, the geometry is a perfect fit for my wife.

One of the differences between this International and others posted is the canti brakes. As I understand this was a touring spec.

Originally Posted by jcb3
Tough for me to say if it is 83 or not.

A shot of the head tube would be helpful - 83 and 84 seemed to have the rounded "wreath" around the "N" and 85 and after had a square N

Plus - International is script on the 83
Minus - inlaid "N" on the seat stays

I redid the International below for my daughter this winter (test ride on saturday), and it had the the Suntour Symmetric shifter braze on mount. And I've seen pictures of presumed 84 Internationals having the Symmetric shifters and Cyclone II drive train, with "International" in block letters . My International also had the Champion 2 tubing label (didn't Tange labels come after Champion?). All this exactly the same as a 1984 Centurion Elite RS I had (other than the Nervex-style lugs). - So I've guessed my International is an 84.
Nice build! Glad to hear that you your daughter likes the bike - hopefully that means it will see some miles and smiles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20151220_1525402S.jpg (47.4 KB, 92 views)