View Single Post
Old 12-22-15, 02:55 PM
MikeEckhaus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I searched a bit, but I couldn't find anything in the code that specifically addresses this issue. However, in the first picture, it seems like the limit line goes across the bike lane because there is a crosswalk at the intersection (even if it is at the far side of the intersection.) Because people may be crossing when their direction is green, you must stop for the red light. There does not seem to be a crosswalk in the second photo, so there is no risk of pedestrians (crossing legally under a controlled walk sign), therefore possibly allowing the bike lane to continue uninterrupted. I have no idea if a stop is mandatory in this case, it seems ambiguous at best. In OC, there are at least 2 places I know of like that. Both cases have no crosswalk, and both have no limit line in the bike lane. One is going up Newport Coast from Bonita Canyon at the first light after you pass under the toll road. The second is on Barranca crossing over 5 where the carpool lane exit is. Again, I don't know the actual law, but there seems to be some consistency of marking relative to limit lines and crosswalks. Interestingly, in the pictures posted, there is an accessable sidewalk to the right in the first photo but no crosswalk, while the sidewalk in the second photo is fenced off. However there is a pedestrian walk button on the pole in the second photo by the crosswalk. Wondering if the fence is temporary.