Old 12-25-15, 08:05 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
IME this will not be sufficient to get the water out of the tiny crevices in the chain. I close my chains with quick links and remove them for cleaning. When I use water-based cleaners (which I am getting away from BTW) , after rinsing I put the chain into a 250 degree F oven for 1/2 hour to vaporize the water. If you do not want to remove the chain I would advise sticking to mineral spirits or the like instead of a water-based solution. Or, just avoid cleaning entirely and use a wet lube; apply it heavily and wipe off the excess.
I appreciate the reply, but I need to clean the rest of the bikes due to the sand build up. If I leave it on, it would be like leaving sandpaper on the bike. That point is not negotiable for me. The bikes are going to get baths. Perhaps a more precise question would be to ask if I am going to wash the rest of the bike after degreasing, does it make sense to use a water based degreaser or an alternative to a water based degreaser if water is going to get into the parts while I bathe them?