View Single Post
Old 12-27-15, 12:17 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenh View Post
I'm not telling anyone how to live their life. Everyone can make their own choices and pay their own price(it may not be not that you pay the price...it may be later). In the same way don't tell me I'm not living my life correctly. I don't tell you how to live your life. You only have one life to live and you can only regret your decisions once.

I know if Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, ISIS(ISIL whatever you want call the stupid group or idiots) decides to attack the United States with an EMP attack all electronic devices will get fried. Other than heating my house right now with electricity I can walk away from the power grid without trying. Can you? What will you do when the car won't start, the TV doesn't work anymore, the movie theaters are shut down, the internet is down, the cell phone doesn't work, etc. No more Fbook or *****ter. What will you do then to occupy yourself. How wrapped up is your life into one thing and one thing only...electricity. When all the things you "can't live without" are laying on the cupboard as dead devices you will start to realize what truly is important in life. That's when you will find a new way to occupy yourself and who your real friends are, versus who is using you for their benefit. It's your decision which way you go. I've made my decision.

Don't try to tell me I can't ride 20+K miles in a year. Kurt Searvogel has ridden over 73000 miles in the past year. He's not riding around the clock, generally 14-15 hours a day. Cut the time in half and you cut the distance in half, 36,500 miles in a year riding 7-8 hours a day, another 8 hours a day working and 8 hours a day sleeping(heck I don't get that much sleep). When you don't have anything else to do, what else is there to do. 20K miles a year working full time is not hard to do. You just have to do it. It take 6-7 weeks to form a new habit and get use to a new way of doing things...a new way of seeing the possibility of how you can do things. Like I said before I was out so long this summer I completely got use to living on the road. In the past 3 summer trips it didn't happen, they weren't long enough trips. It takes time to create change. Yes, I will fess, I'm single and live by myself. If you have the wife and kids to deal with it does complicate things a bit but it is still doable.
A few comments:

1. No I cannot walk away from the power grid nor do I want to, period. I'll live with the risk of an EMP attack, whatever the heck that is. Take the doomsday prepper talk somewhere else, I'm sure there's a forum for that somewhere on the interwebs.
2. Riding 14 hours a day is insane. I love riding my bike, but not that much. Someone like that has let bike riding consume their life and their is no time for anything else. It's a case study in OCD.
3. Riding 7-8 hours a day, every day is a bit extreme, but hey, to each his own.

This thread should end as it has gone WAY off course. I like coming to the touring thread because the threads are typically very civil and I have learned a lot about touring which is something I have never done but would like to try.