View Single Post
Old 12-27-15, 01:24 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hokie cycler View Post
There is a difference between riding 7-8 hours a day for a week long tour, or even a month long tour, than to do so EVERY day of the year to reach some insane mileage total like 20k or 30k miles in a year, which is where this thread started to go off the rails with your manifesto.

For an off the grid guy who doesn't need electricity, you sure do spend a lot of time on the internet.
First the difference comes from preparing ahead of time. The way you make a bike trip both enjoyable and easy is to go in prepared, both in carrying the right gear and being in shape. Sure you can start a bike trip without every having ridden a mile on a bike in years. It isn't going to be enjoyable though. You won't remember much but the struggle that you have trying to get your sorry butt in shape. Your found memories of the bike trip will be the sore muscles not the places you visited. Unless you want to miserable bike trip you not only get your packing done but you get sorry butt in shape as well and try to give yourself some real simulation of what you are going to have to deal with during the trip. If that means 7-8 hours a day on the bike, then you go out and do a weekend or even several weekends of getting used to riding 7-8 hours a day. A smart person does that...unless they want to have an experience they would much rather forget then remember.

When it rains, it pours. I bank miles for rainy days like today. I'm sitting in McDonalds online right now. I rode in here with drizzle falling. It's raining at a bit more steady pace right now and I have several things I'm working on online right now since I don't have much else to do. Typically, like last night, I don't get home until 9:30-10PM. No reason to. I get home, eat supper and then go to bed. Yeah, on crummy days like today I'll spend more time online than others when the weather is a lot nicer. You learn in life to get things done at the appropriate time. Sometimes you just have to wait for the right time to come before you get certain projects done. I guess after riding 172 miles in the past two days I can afford a short day. Only need 197 miles the rest of the year to hit my goal for the year so I'm not to terribly worried by it. Nice day tomorrow and then again on Wednesday and Thursday and I'm planning on probably doing a 100 miler on both NYE and NYD, just like I did last year. Why do that...I guess its the same answer as to why go on a bike tour...because you/I want to...err, because it's there dang it.