View Single Post
Old 01-02-16, 07:23 PM
Sundog3478

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_linux
It has got something to do with the stack en reach, but this frame has got a way more upride position then my previous roadbike. So that's gonna be perfect.

Hey Sundog3478,

Best wishes for this New Year.

I've got a question:
Been looking for the Mares 105 Disc @ my local Dealer. He couldn't view any stocklist yet and has got to wait until next Wednesday.
But he did told me this.

He hasn't got any experience with the setup of the TRP HY/RD brakes.
But he testdrove a bike with those brakes on it and he admitted that their modulation is a lot better to control than mechanical brakes.
The point that the brakes "bite" comes with a better feeling.
He does warn me about the lever movement. He had to pull the levers very far before there was any braking response. And he doesn't know why it was like that.
Only tells me that barrel adjusters are a no-no for these brakes and advised me mechanical brakes like the TRP Spires over the HY/RD's or a decent set like SRAM or SHIMANO.
Or I must find someone who can fine tune the HY/RD brakes perfect. Because, if setup perfectly, they would outrun any mechanical discbrake by far.

Could you get some info about this @ your CX friends riding a Mares disc?

Many thanks.
Happy new year to you, too.

Not sure what they or I can tell you. I've ridden one of the AX 105s and the brakes operated fine. There was no excessive pull on the levers to get the brakes to actuate.

Near as I can tell - there is a barrel adjuster for the cable on the actuator. This video shows the adjuster and it's operation for proper set up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8T6cON6y_Y

Looks pretty easy to me.

You may want to find a different mechanic, regardless of what bike you choose. I cannot imagine anyone competent saying anything along the lines of "barrel adjusters are a no-no for these brakes" or not knowing why a particular component is acting the way it does.