View Single Post
Old 01-08-16, 03:48 PM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
What's the problem?
By urging her to "improve" you are really coercing her to change.
Very true. If I want change, I should probably invest in tennis lessons. However, if she still feels the same way about biking, then I should "let it be," as you say.

By the way, lots of entertainment so far reading everyone's responses. Lots of good insights and suggestions. Thanks! I knew BF would come through.

Many of you are very lucky in your choice of a significant other - tell them I said so. I'm very happy with my choice as well. Absolutely no chance of a divorce, but I still envy those couples I see on the road together. I don't mind riding alone, but still....

Another point: neither of us is new to biking, although we had a long lay-off (due to jobs and moving to a location less conducive to biking). Back in the 1980s. we took some day trips of 40 to 50 miles with our oldest son, who was in his early teens. Everyone including my wife enjoyed those rides. Her interest has seemingly dropped off, and her fears of falling or being hit by a car have worsened.

Believe me, I know coercion doesn't work. In good weather, I invite her to go on a leisurely ride. If she says no, I leave it at that.