Old 01-09-16, 04:14 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Show your classic sports touring bicycle

I've searched the threads and it seems that the sports touring bicycle is the Rodney Dangerfield of bikes; they just don't get a lot of respect. There are long threads on touring bikes and racing bikes but not on these classic in between bikes.

There are only 2 rules. The first is that the bike should have long reach brakes. Of course back in the day, long reach brakes were just called standard reach brakes, . Still bikes with cantilevers (mainly touring and cross bikes) and short reach (39-49 mm) brakes need not apply; they have their own threads. The second is that the bike should have eyelets front and rear too (otherwise it's just a racing bike).

Sports touring bikes were designed to be in-betweeners but they're sweet bikes that can take a 28 or even a 32c tire. They'll work fine for light touring and fast day rides. They make good randonnee bikes. And they get no respect.

This is mine. It's a 1984 Trek 610; I bought the frame (and headset) from a fellow BF member and built the bike from my parts bin. The bike rides great with 700 x 30c tires:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
610CherryGlen.jpg (105.7 KB, 8440 views)
File Type: jpg
610Fence.jpg (105.7 KB, 8428 views)
Likes For bikemig: