View Single Post
Old 01-15-16, 07:09 PM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in much-maligned NJ, we many beautiful MUPs and rail-trails. I'm within easy riding distance of the Loantaka Brook Reservation, which has a network of paved and unpaved paths totaling about 8 miles. Wish it were longer. The scenery is woods and streams, plus a few meadows and farms.

The best rail-trail I've found so far is the Columbia Trail in the western part of the state. Truly breath-taking views (I sound like a travel agent, don't I?) with ravines, bridges, cliffs, horse farms, etc.

On the Paulinskill Trail, you share the crushed-stone surface with dog-walkers, hikers, and equestrians. I choose to regard the ubiquitous horse-droppings as obstacles that sharpen my reflexes and agility.

The Patriot's Path in Morris County has everything from smooth, level, paved surfaces to very challenging (for me) sections that traverse hilly terrain and streams. The trail has odd loops and switch-backs, as well as interruptions here and there, so best to send away for a map from Morris County Parks Department.

Plenty more trails that I have yet to explore.

Last edited by habilis; 01-15-16 at 07:15 PM.