Old 01-18-16, 02:05 PM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkinevil
I know this was a fairly old thread, but I have been trying to find someone who has used the shuttle over the bridge. I was thinking about riding down to Portsmouth this Spring to visit family and that crossing is the only real obstacle. Did you have to schedule the van in advance? If so, how long in advance and how precisely did you have to schedule a time? Ideally, I would love to roll up whenever I get there and do it as a walk-im since it would be the end of an all day ride. I would be grateful if you could share how it worked out logistically. Thanks!
I don't believe that the police/transit authorities nowadays still provide the walk-up van service that suburbanbeat describes (actually, I'm surprised that they were, apparently, still doing so in 2014 -- I thought that they had stopped years before then.)

From the State Highway Administration Web site (http://www.roads.maryland.gov/index.aspx?Pageid=596):

Bridges

The following bridges were not designed to accommodate bicycle or pedestrian traffic.

Thomas J. Hatem Memorial Bridge - US 40 over the Susquehanna River
Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge - US 301 over the Potomac River
William Preston Lane, Jr. Memorial Bridge - US 50/301 over Chesapeake Bay

The Maryland Transportation Authority (MdTA), which oversees the management of the facilities, recognizes that these prohibitions may create difficulties for some cyclists. As a courtesy, the MdTA offers the following services:

William Preston Lane, Jr. Memorial Bridge:

A private, professional service is available, for a fee to assist cyclists over the Chesapeake Bay. It is suggested that you contact the service at least 24 hours in advance of your crossing to verify the location and time of pick-up. For more information, contact the MdTA at 410-974-0341.

I would give that number a call to get the latest official scoop. The "private, professional" service to which the SHA site refers might be Kent Island Express, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Drive-Over Service, Bay Bridge Drive-Over Help, Parcel Services.