Old 01-21-16, 12:27 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
T Stew - You can't go wrong with a Voyageur for touring. I bought a 1987 model a few years ago because I had given up trying to eliminate a shimmy on my Specialized Expedition when it was fully loaded. I eventually got that worked out but do not regret buying the Voyageur. It is a great riding bike unloaded and super stable when loaded.

I also picked up a 1986 model and between the two I prefer the 1986 aesthetically. There isn't much difference but the attachment of the seat stays to the top tube has a more finished look. Also my 86 has chrome under the paint on the fork and on the rear triangle which my 1987 does not. One other difference is that the mid fork rack mounts on the 86 are a bolt on from the outside but the 87 has holes through the fork blades so an older Blackburn custom lowrider will work on it. I have the Blackburn rack and for that reason I will be keeping the 87 instead of the 86.

I think your assessment regarding the 84 and 85 SP models is probably correct and I would put the 1986 model behind them followed by any of the Tenax years. The Tange models are probably fine but falling out of the mid 80's golden years for touring bikes I just have a personal impression that they are not as nice. That is only my bias and I have not seen one up close or ridden one to compare.

I was fortunate to acquire a 1984 Miyata 1000 a year ago and am very impressed with the ride although I haven't ridden it any distance with a load. Among full bore touring bikes the Voyageur tends to slide a bit under the radar and is likely your best bang for the buck in most cases unless you stumble on a deal for some other brand.

Good luck with your hunt! You can expect to pay more for a touring bike because the popularity of bike touring has been on a rise and the vintage models are great bikes and still a bargain compared to any new production bikes. PM me if you want any more info. I may be putting my 86 on the local CL market in the spring.