Old 01-21-16, 04:30 PM
markii

Bikes: 1995 Giant Kronos, 1984 Trek 720, 1989 Trek 850, 2009 Batavus Personal Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
My commute is only a few miles a day. When I ran the numbers through one of those "How much do you save by bike commuting?" apps, it came out to very nominal savings. As others have said, I commute purely for the exercise and the mental lift it gives me. Sometimes, that alone is worth a little investment for tires and some minor accessories. However, I could never justify spending the kind of money you (the OP) did for my commute.
Same - 10 mile round trip by car - 16 miles by bike - to work means saving 2 gallons a week.. so maybe $200 a year at current gas prices - and I'll be lucky to commute half the possible work days - $100. That $100 seems like a minimal I will need to spend a year for upkeep, clothes, etc. My company started offering a reimbursment for commuting - vanpool, parking, public transportation and I thought biking - but alas that was the one part of the program they were not doing ( $20 a month - which would of covered commuting and then some...)