Old 01-27-16, 09:41 PM
mtseymour

Bikes: 2022 Calfee Tetra, 2023 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem2
Thanks for the input, Co-motion is still a very strong contender, here's where I am currently in the thought process.
Co-motion has been at this a while, and seem to have their geo dialed from the ride reviews I have read.
They are also the most affordable frame/fork package.
The bad is PF30, I would prefer a pair of Chris King externals, but that's not a deal breaker.
Since I am going to build this frame up, I would prefer a 142mm TA rear drop out, vs the Co-motion 145.
Rodriguez: The Trillium sounds great, I like the fact the S3 tubeset will deliver a frame on par weight wise with the carbon options, but am reading this may also result in a less stiff frame vs a ox platinum tube set.
I like the idea that all their frames are one off custom built to the buyer.
I am pro Carbon fork, and Rodriguez is dead set against them.
Calfee: Drop dead sexy looks.
Extremely light weight.
Great dampening properties of the carbon tubeset.
Maybe the only negative is the cost.
And option 4, Walt Works.
Having had a custom steel bike from him already, I know what I am getting.
Welds that look better than anything I have seen on the other 2 steel bikes mentioned.
Everything I didn't like about the other steel bikes mentioned, full custom implementation of my BB, drop out and forks wants.
The bad, Walt says as much on his site that he is not a tandem expert.
So, lots going on up stairs tandem wise lol.
I think I really need to get some saddle time and let that be the final litmus test.
Oh, been poking around the Landshark web site too.
You have some really good frame options. Here are some additional thoughts:

-it will cost more to buy a frame and do a custom build, but you probably know this already.
-have you considered Ultegra Di2? The shifting is phenomenal but it's limited to 2x11 (unless you want to hack the XTR Di2). You can get good deals on Ultegra Di2 right now.
-Double or triple cranks? The double will shift better and is lighter. A triple is more common and may be needed for loaded touring.
-The 142-12 TA is tempting and the hub selection should be better than 145. I wish this option was available when we did our build. Keep in mind that SRAM and others are already pushing for the 148-12 TA. The "Boast 148" will widen the hub flanges and will strenghen the rear disk wheel. However, it's risky to be an early adopter.
-How about 28mm tire clearance? The 28mm tires are more comfortable and rolling resistance is very good.