View Single Post
Old 02-04-16, 04:36 AM
brothermouzon

Bikes: Benotto 800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's an ancient thread but an everlasting question. So I did try SRAM Rivals with Tektro RX6. Before that I had Tektro CR720 Cantis. This is my experience:

- In the front the canti works perfectly with the SRAM brifter. I have a threadset (front) mounted hanger. The brake is both stiff, firm and powerful.
- In the rear the canti lacked the power to stop the wheel. I needed this much for more technical tracks.
- I replaced the canti with a RX6 mini-v brake. It's very powerful but the brifter (lever) has too little cable pull, there is very little clearance between the braking pads and the rim.

As a result I have the stopping power I needed with less modulation than required. It's a compromise I accept, I'm happy with this.

As for conclusions:
- Vbrakes in a road bike are a mistake. They have too much stopping power and too little modulation. With high speeds and a peloton this may result in accidents.
- Vbrake stopping power is great for technical tracks where riding is very dynamic and you have lots of sudden stops and accelerations (think of MTB style) and probably rough/sudden downhills
- Cantis have the modulation and power in the front, lack power in the rear, which is fine for grassy and muddy tracks where more dynamic braking would cause only undesired drifting, CX is more technical in terms of adjusting speed to terrain, cornering and bike handling. After all frequently heard advice for CX is to brake as little as possible.

But that's just my opinion, man.

Last edited by brothermouzon; 02-05-16 at 05:57 AM.