Old 02-08-16, 08:45 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbyl1966
I have square taper in one of my road bikes also i have square taper on my old mountain bike. In my other road bike i have sealed bottom bracket. What i see the square taper is turn more smooth than the sealed one.
This reply is nonsense. The type of spindle has no bearing (no pun intended) on how well the bearings turn. Yes, different types of BBs can have different (read, bigger or smaller) bearings which can last longer/shorter, but any bearing when properly adjusted should spin just as free as any other bearing, assuming similar grades and that there is negligible wear on both.

I personally like square taper BBs because I'm not a racer and I don't need the minuscule weight drop or slight strength increase that modern BB spindles have over square taper. I also like being able to use just about any cranks I find. As an example. At my local coop we have 2-3 large boxes of cranks for square taper. (Hundreds of cranks) We have maybe... 10 non-square taper cranksets in the entire shop. Sure, it's a bit biased because the coop generally caters to lower quality bikes. But still. Square taper works perfectly well and will continue to work perfectly well and not become obsolete for many years.

EDIT: I feel that square taper may be the last "universal" BB spindle type that we have. From here on forward they're just going to continuously update hollowtech/octolink/... and forever put old versions out of date and make them impossible to find parts for.

Last edited by corrado33; 02-08-16 at 08:57 AM.