View Single Post
Old 02-20-16, 02:04 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Wouldn't be great if there were a way to prevent the "don't listen to music while riding, you'll certainly DIE" crowd from posting in these threads? That sure would be great.
I would agree. However, the OP started his post with "Do y'all listen to music when you ride?" which kind of begs for the type of response you're objecting to.

There are plenty of threads where people like us can discuss WHAT music we listen to and HOW we listen to it. Although those threads also attract some anti-music-on-the-bike people, they are generally not in the majority and do not usually ruin the threads.

I personally use a powered speaker I picked up on eBay for $25. It was made for cycling, it's lightweight, and it has a very sturdy handlebar mount. The brand name is not inscribed and I do not remember what it was, but it came from Korea. Attached to that, I have an old 4gb San Disk mp3 player that cost me $9.99 on closeout, runs on a single AAA battery, and has been a thousand times more dependable than any of the five or six iPods I have owned in my lifetime.

I play mostly Pop from the 1950's through the 2000's, along with some Country and Blues, so there's no need to rattle the windows of the cars around me. Plus, regardless of what the anti-music riders insist, with my music at optimum volume, I can hear a freakin' staple jingle when I run it over with my Schwalbe Big Apples.

Someone just gave me a $60 DigiPower Re-Fuel XT2 Outdoor BlueTooth Speaker that weighs a ton and looks like it would splinter the blacktop on my local bike trail, but I really don't need that kind of power. First offer of $30 or more takes it!