View Single Post
Old 03-11-03, 08:06 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally posted by HardBall
Speaking of neighbors. I had the opportunity to fix up some beaters and provide some less fortunate neighborhood children with bikes. One in particular was for a young man around 16 I think, that wanted to work yet had no transportation and no way of getting any. Jobs were not available that were realistically in walking distance.

He was very much the new generation fatherless kid who barely knew what a wrench was let alone how to use it correctly. He helped me with the dismantling and stripping of the frame. He chose the paint color, a very nice blue I might add. He got the bike mechanic 101 class as we reassembled.

We worked on that thing for a month. Had a great time and he ended up with a bike that functioned properly and didn't look like it had been rejected one time. I saw him ride it everyday to work for several months until his family moved away from the area.

I don't know who was more appreciative, him or me. Him for the bike or me for being able to help. It's just nice to help someone. We all get so caught up in the whirlwind of life that we forget that people are what make the difference in out lives. Not the money, cars or houses, not even all the cool bikes and swag

Forgive me for waxing philosophical; sometimes I just yearn for a more leisurely pace.
Resuscitation for an old thread I know but, I hope someday to be as cool as this guy. It's something I've always wanted to do but never had the time / resources / space to do so. It will happen I assure you it WILL happen.