Old 02-23-16, 07:10 PM
shadaboot28

Bikes: 1952 Rudge Pathfinder / 1950's Raleigh Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creindesign
I like it Great find, I don't expect the handlebars to come from a tandem tho... They usually had a larger diameter steerer tube in the thirties.
Depending on where you are located in the UK, pls let me know if and when you are putting it on the market.
I love pre-50s bikes, but unfortunately they tend to be too small (20") for my 5ft11in.

I have a question about the Pathfinder as well - I found a rustbucket a while ago, sporting 26 x 1 1/4 FM (alloy hub - 50-10) wheels and Rudge features. I couldn't find any fitting decals underneath all the hammerite and layers of paint. Altho Rudge was owned by Raleigh back then, they didn't follow the Raleigh serial numbers. Also it has a 25.4mm alloy seatpost and you can feel a sleeve in the seat tube. Probably 531PG.
It doesn't have the windowed lugs.

I think it is an early Pathfinder...
Can you tell me if you have a 25.4 seatpost as well? Did you manage to pinpoint the year of manufacture?
Mine has the frame number on the seat lug: 241289 with a "R" underneath, how does that compare to yours.

Thanks in advance,
Rogier
Milton - Cambridge
I should be putting it on ebay as a complete bike this week (hopefully tomorrow)

I also love pre 50's British racing bike and your quite right, they are never big enough! I'm 6ft2in! Although if you get the 23'' frames and adjust the seat post and stems then they are just big enough.

As for your Rudge I would suggest that it is either a pathfinder or an Ulster Sports. The Ulster Sports is the Rudge version of the Raleigh Trent Sports and both were on the lower end of the scale of racers they made in that era. The ulster Sports is very rare, much rarer than any Lenton or Clubman. In fact the only one I have ever seen is the one I used to own which I now very much regret selling!

My Pathfinder has a 25.4 seat post I think. And yes I know the date of mine, it's 1952.

The serial number on mine is 307239 R underneath.

Here's some pics of my old Ulster Sports: