Old 02-24-16, 09:54 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyd928
Well, I was hoping someone who previously owned any of those bikes could give me some tips/advice on the matter.

I should explain I am new to biking, new as in I havent owned a bike in about 14 years and my last bike was a mongoose.
Im 27 now, living in Boston and needed something that was good for a commuter college student, driving from my apartment to my campus is about 3.7 miles one way, takes roughly a half hour to 45 minutes.

Im 5'10", 149 lbs. and I like the fit of a 17.5" frame. I tried the 7.2FX first a few weeks ago, it was a 2016 blue colored model. I loved it, it rode great, felt built well, changed gears nicely but was a little on the expensive side at $449.

Then I tried a 7.0FX which Im guessing is just 2 models below the 7.2. Same thing, seemed pretty good out of the box. The last and final bike I tried was the used Trek 7500 Multitrack. I thought it was cool that it had front shocks/springs and it felt comfortable to ride.

***Now a week later

Im starting to have doubts on my purchase.
Seeing how I know little or nothing about bikes, I feel it was a bit crazy that I spent $320 on a used bike when for $30 more I could've gotten a Trek FX 7.0.
Some things (cons) I've noticed:
** the suspension makes it harder to go uphills, living in New England this is a no go.
** Im worried that a 10 year old bike doesnt have much more of a lifespan

The pros are:
**The chain/pedals/brakes all look like theyre in decent shape!
**No rust on the frame or any hardware
**the tires look strong

The shop told me the 7500 would be comparable to an older version of the 7.5FX. Im not gonna not believe them, but again I didn't know much about bikes. When I was a kid if it had two wheels and some pedals it was a bike to me.

I just want to know if I should keep this ten year old Multitrack, and if not, which of those treks would be good for a commuter student putting about 150 miles per week? Something reliable, well built, comfortable and fast.

Thanks!
Any reason you fixated on Trek? Nothing wrong with Trek, but there are other choices. giant, Cannondale, Jamis, Surly, Specialized, Raleigh, Fuji, Bianchi, etc, etc. Trek is OK, sort of the Toyota or Ford of bikes. Reliable but a bit bland.

A couple of other points. The older 7500 is not the equivalent of the current 7.5 FX. It is much heavier with a energy sucking suspension fork. If you decide to keep it, maybe consider replacing it, as those older forks were nothing special.

Re: bike size. At 5'10", you might want to consider a bit larger bike than the 17.5" frame. I am 5'8" and rode an 18" frame for years before realizing it was actually too small.

If you really want a new Trek, the fx 7.2 is about as low in the Trek lineup as I would personally go, especially if you plan to use it every day. The 7.1 and 7.0 are alright, but really not a whole lot better than department store bikes.