Old 02-25-16, 08:42 AM
steve t.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I consider my LHT to be the most well rounded, comfortable, capable, friendly bike I've owned and ridden. Yep, that is a subjective statement, and I'm not listing everything I've owned/ridden over 40 years of bicycling, but that is how I feel about it.

I'm now a middle-aged, somewhat overweight returning cycling enthusiast who has long ago left notions of high performance behind me. I do not need, nor do I want, the latest and the greatest in my bicycle. Instead, I insist on better quality, long-proven technology that is going to withstand the test of time. The component set spec'ed on the LHT is just that, solid gear you can count on to perform well day after day. Run to the store with it, ride the local roads and trails with it (paved or groomed unpaved), or load it to the hilt and cross the country with it. It does all of this, well. It's an ideal general purpose (i.e. multi-purpose) bicycle.

I feel any stock bicycle is a blank canvas awaiting my personal touches, to make it mine. Pedals that serve my needs- check. Out with the stock handlebar system, in with one that serves my ergonomic needs- check. Toss the stock saddle and install a Brooks B67- check. A Topeak rear rack and trunk bag for commuting or day trips, a Racktime front rack and removable basket for those jaunts to the store (or whatever hauling purpose)- check. Upgrade the tires to meet your local conditions and personal tastes. I made the bike my own, I made it suit my needs and my lifestyle. I'm too old to care one bit about someone else saying this bike doesn't compare well to a performance bike, or a mountain bike, or a...

The Long Haul Trucker is just that, built for the long haul. It's got its purpose, and I tweaked it to meet mine even better.

It works for me.

Steve.