View Single Post
Old 11-28-05, 10:13 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Several years ago, when Cece Krone was killed by a drunk driver in Marin County, I traded cordial and consoling emails with her mother, I asked the judge to be hard on her killer, Michele Young, and I doubled my normal annual contribution to MADD, in her memory.

I appreciate and understand your post, bostontrevor, but as a pragmatist and activist, I need to celebrate the life of a fallen comrade and to deal with a senseless, tragic loss by doing some small thing to make the roads safer for all of us. For sydney's killer, I advocate a lengthy driver's license suspension and a life of modest monthly memorial payments to a reputable cycling advocacy organization, coupled with extensive community service, including speaking in public and in high schools about the dangers of inattentive motoring. If we can raise John Q. Public's awareness of the need for responsible motoring, then our friend sydney shall not have died in vain.
Very well said John. The best step forward we can make to ensure that fewer cyclists are hit isn't to punish those who already know what can happen when they take their eyes off the road, but make sure that they spread that message far and wide.