Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2942 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by TuckertonRR View Post
Wow, I love those pics! Especially the ones near the beach! It's almost like the New Jersey shore that I'm used to. I've never drove/rode on left - hand lanes (UK, Aus, etc) do you ride your bike to the extreme left, or closer to the median? And are general "bike rules" similar to those in the States, ?? I'm considering a trip to Ireland in the next year or so, and never actually rode in a left-drive country (though I've been to the UK twice before - just walked & used the transport systems).
This is a photo of Rowan riding ahead of me on the overnight tour we did at the end of November ... that's where we ride ... near the white line on the edge of the road.

And yes, the rules of the road in Australia and the UK are quite similar to those in Canada and the US. The usual stuff ... signal, stop at stop signs, etc.

It's quite easy to ride (or drive) on the left side of the road EXCEPT when it comes to turning at intersections. That's when you've got to really pay attention and turn into the correct lane. It's actually easier when riding a bicycle than driving because if you get it wrong, you can just pull over and correct the situation when it is safe to do so.

Oh, one other thing ... there are lots and lots and lots of roundabouts in Australia and the UK. And they go in the opposite direction to any you might have encountered in the US.