Bike Forums - View Single Post - Training for a 100 mile ride.
View Single Post
Old 03-02-16, 01:17 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by rickrob View Post
The course hasn't been set yet, but I think it starts in Rye, NH, goes over to the Merrimack River and down to Northeastern MA. I'll have to check for some elevations in that area to get an idea or wait until they post the course.
Hey @rickrob, I just noted you live in Metrowest Boston. I’m in Kenmore Square in Boston. You may be interested in this active thread on the Northeast Regional Cycling Discussion Forum, "Metro Boston, good ride today?” with the link to the most recent post. Most of the subscribers ride in Metrowest.

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
Please provide a link to the ride/event so we can look at the elevation profile. 100 miles on a bicycle really isn't that difficult if the route is flat or mostly flat. Throw in several hour-long climbs and it can be a completely different ordeal. If there is a lot of climbing involved then climbing should make up a significant part of your training plan.

Rick / OCRR
Rest assured, @Rick@OCRR, that along the Atlantic seaboard you won’t find any arduous climbs. The tallest point in metro Boston is Great Blue Hill at 635 feet, the highest point within 10 miles of the Atlantic coast south of Maine (Wikipedia).

I’ve read about your climbs in California.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-02-16 at 08:47 PM.