View Single Post
Old 03-05-16, 11:59 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 113 Posts
Hi,

I just finished this mid 60s English Club Racer. The frame was built by Bill Soens of the Liverpool Soens family of cyclists. Jim Soens, the family patriarch, was a racer in the early 1900s. Jim later became a frame builder and bike shop owner. He had four sons who were all involved in cycling. All started racing, but moved on to other cycling endeavors. Jim’s most well known son, was Edward “Eddie” who was a respected English cycling coach during the years after WW2 through the 70s. Bill is Eddie’s son. Bill started building frames in the late 50s and labeled the with his fathers name. In a 10 to 12 year period, he built ~800 frames in the shop which he operated under his father’s name. As I understand it, all of his frames were built for local competitors and many were “Club” models. I have frame #777, which according to Bill Soens was built during the mid to late 60s.

As was usual with English bikes from this period, the components were constantly changing. A bike may have been originally with the components the rider had available and/or could afford. Components were replaced or upgraded as needed. When I acquired the bike, last September, the old original appearing parts were the Milremo stem and GB bars. Most of the components were low end that had been install just to keep the bike on the road. It had a decent set of wheels, Campy Triomphe hubs with Mavic MA2 rims. It also had a beat up Campy aero seat post. Decent, but not period correct. As received, the bike was reasonably light, 22lbs.

My bike has been rejuvenated with what some refer to as a restoration +1 componentry. This process utilizes next generation components of the same level/type/manufacture. Interestingly, the bike came with braze-ons for bar end shifters. According to the historical data, these were popular with the club cyclists of that period because they allow them to focus on riding efficiency rather than shifting. My bike is currently equipped with a Campy Nuovo Gran Sport drive train, Weinmann 605 side pull brakes with drilled levers, a fluted seat post / allen key binder bolt and the Milremo stem with wider GB bars. It’s still rolling on the Triomphe/Mavic wheels, but I have a set of Campy Record high flange hubs that I will build new wheels with as soon as I find the appropriate rims. It also has Suntour ratcheting barcons instead of something period correct. I chose these because they are readily available and function much better than what would have been used in the 60s.

Prior to starting the component change over, I stripped the parts off the frame, cleaned the few rust spots and did some minor touch up. The bike will probably pass the “10 foot test”. I wanted to preserve the patina and decals, although, the decals are not original or correct. Correct decals are available, but refinishing may not be in the future.

Due to some medical restrictions, I’ve only put a few miles on the bike, but these have gotten it dialed in and everything functions well.

For those interested in vintage English bikes, check out these forums: www.cyclechat.net, www.lfgss.com, www.retrobike.co.uk, CTC Forum ? Index page.

Cheers,

Van

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010859A.jpg (77.6 KB, 880 views)
P1010862A.jpg (86.3 KB, 879 views)
Soens 1right.jpg (100.8 KB, 890 views)
Soens 2left.jpg (101.5 KB, 887 views)
Likes For Senior Ryder 00: