Old 03-06-16, 09:59 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 47 Posts
Grand Canal West I17 to Cardinal's Stadium

This morning I followed the Grand Canal Path from I17 to the 101 and back. It's a little more than a mile from my house to the Grand Canal on the west side of the I17. The path is gravel the first ~1/4 mi to 27th Ave. From 27th Ave to Grand Ave it is paved. At Grand Ave you cross the RR tracks.

[IMG]crossing Grand Ave by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Between Grand Ave & 35th Ave the path is gravel again. As can be expected the canal has flavor.

[IMG]shopping cart? by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Except for a short stretch between Indian School Rd and 67th Ave the path is paved all the way to 99th Ave. At 67th ave starts the Bethany Home Outflow Channel. Basically it is a flood control area. But it is pretty and green and is used as a park when not flooded. Here is a shot near the 71st Ave Entrance.

[IMG]near 71st Ave by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

The canal is to the left. The path I am following is a path in the flood control itself. Right at the end the flood control flows into a concrete ditch barred to prevent access. That doesn't stop everybody.

[IMG]Street Art by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

But the path itself climbs the canal embankment and deposits me here. At 75th Ave & Camelback.

[IMG]75th Ave & Camelback by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

I know it doesn't look like much. But in the 70s this was all farmland. There was a convenience to the left of the shot. Behind me was a radio station. They are still there. The farmland is gone. We used to drive out here back then. We would jump in the canal just below the gate, slide under the intersection and try to catch a rope on the other side. I always missed and had to crawl out further down.

The Grand Canal Linear Park in Glendale starts on the other side of the intersection. It is on the north side of the canal here. I take it as it is easier to cross the major streets. At Bethany Home Rd there is an underpass followed by a short bridge over the canal. From there it is less than 2 miles to the 101. Between 91st Ave and the 101 is the Cardinal's stadium. I was pleasantly surprised to find a balloon festival.

[IMG]balloon festival by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

I never thought about it but I guess sometimes these guys don't make it.

[IMG]in trouble by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

He managed to miss the stadium but hits the ground a couple of minutes later. After watching the balloons for a while I head home. Just before the Bethany Home underpass I turn left and go thru the Glendale Heroes Park, cut thru an empty lot to the Discovery Park to get onto Maryland Ave. From there it is east to 23rd Ave. Maryland has one of the few pedestrian bridges over the I17.

[IMG]Maryland & I17 by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Weirdly there was a guy in the structure sitting in an office chair. Just sitting. He had a bedroll and small bag with him. It would be too noisy for me. Hanging out over a freeway.

From here I go east to 23rd Ave then turn south towards home. Just a couple of miles. Stopping for a snack on the way.

[IMG]Snack Time by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

If you're interested in the numbers;

23 mi
1 hr 44 min riding time