View Single Post
Old 03-08-16, 01:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronadventure
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you all for advise on my trans-america bike route.

Currently, I am starting from western massachusetts and getting onto the atlantic route in connecticut. I was then going to follow the route given to me by adventurecycling.org. I was then going to switch onto the Trans-america to oregon.

Has anyone done a similar type of route?

Help support my bicycle trip across country! I will be spreading awareness for genetic diseases and pushing my limits on the bicycle summer of 2017.

AARON'S ADVENTURE - Home

1- Our son died from a recessive genetic disease shortly after birth. I mention this only because of anyone, I would be part of the target audience wanting you to accomplish this ride. And yet...
2- Use your own money to have an adventure after college. Dont disguise this as an effort to spread the word of genetic diseases.
a- Its 2016, people are aware of genetics and genetic diseases. I can confidently say that every adult I know has heard of Down Syndrome. Adding in commonly discussed diseases such as CF, Celiac, and Sickle Cell means a large number of adults and children are well aware of genetic disease.
b- If your goal is to inform as many people as possible, I would think spending 2 weeks in Boston handing out flyers would reach 900x more people than riding alone across the country over the span of a couple months.
3- If you want to make an impact and raise awareness for genetic diseases, find out how to work/volunteer with NORD or Global Genes. Find out how to involve your community in Rare Disease Day.

Why would someone who is not related to you donate money so you can ride a bike when that same money could be donated directly to an advocacy group for a specific disease or to one of the awareness non-profits listed above?
You should answer that question on your site since anyone with any sense will immediately ask themselves that when they see you are asking for them to fund your vacation.