View Single Post
Old 03-08-16, 05:04 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Slime is a sealant. Sealants work by plugging up a hole. Sealants can work quite well in thick inner tubes that don't have high air pressure to deal with. The ideal situation for sealant to work well is in tubeless bike tires where the tire itself holds in the air. The tire casing doesn't stretch very much when under pressure so the shape of the hole doesn't change. This is not the case with an inner tube. Inner tubes are like a balloon, stretchy, and latex inner tubes are the stretchiest of all which is why they are recommended if you want to have a very compliant ride. But that sketchiness works against a sealant. As you ride, the inner tube is constantly flexing with the tire, and it is very thin, especially a latex tube. You might get better protection using a thorn proof inner tube that uses much thicker butyl rubber. Using latex inner tubes that are usually chosen to provide a more supple ride along with lighter weight with sealant seems like a contradiction.
I chose to use latex inner tubes with my 700 x 25 tires to improve ride quality. Latex inner tubes are a tiny bit more puncture resistant than butyl inner tubes of the same weight, but that isn't why I bought them. Mainly, I was wondering if they were worth the extra money. After a year of using them, I am still not sure

Last edited by alcjphil; 03-08-16 at 05:11 PM.